Monday, February 9, 2009

The threat to Throw

The arm is raised, the older sibling is flinching in anticipation of the hard or pointy or heavy object to make contact... He knows better. He knows (because this is not the first time he has struck this pose) that he is not to throw that lego on his older brother's head. Yet the arm is raised...

Oh Weston, Weston, Weston. What am I going to do with you?

I'll tell you. I will being NOW teaching him a principle from the New Testament: Sinning in your heart is the same to our Lord as sinning in action. "You have heard that it was said, 'Do not commit adultery.' But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart. (Matthew 5:27-28). Lucky for me in this case, my two-year-old is not too good at hiding what is going on in his heart. The devious two-year-old bodily pose and smirk makes his motive and intention clear.

And so before he has the chance to launch the lego, pitch the puzzle piece, fling the fire engine, or heave the helmet, my little guy gets a swat as though he has already committed the deed. Because in his heart, he already has.

No comments: