Tuesday, March 3, 2009

The Quiet Time Plan

I am going to go out on a limb this time and write out my plan for how we are going to implement quiet times into our day (now that I have school-aged kids) BEFORE it is actually working. Usually, I wait to blog about things until we are having success because that way, what I have to say sounds, well, successful.

This time, however, I am going to let you in on the plan from the get-go. Perhaps witnessing the bumps along the way will encourage you to be willing to be go down the bumpy road, too.

Today I am making my plan and gathering supplies.
Tommorrow I will give the kids a practice-run-through in the middle of the day.
The following day we will try it out.

My inspiration, Joy's post here. My experience with childhood quiet times, none, except the time we did it about a year ago, right before I got pregnant (and the whole wonderful routine went out the door with my morning sickness and fatigue). Now is the time!

What has worked in your house for your kids? Or, what are you thinking about trying!?

3 comments:

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

I'm excited to see how it goes! Did I ever tell you that I think you are amazing?! I was just answering an e-mail the other day of a mom lamenting the fact that her kids were in public school stating that she felt like she was making an un-godly decision. I encouraged her that there is no right or wrong decision, and I used you as an example of an awesome, godly mom of ps kids. I told her that some HSers tend to tout HSing as somehow superior, when it isn't. And, I told her that MANY of us have gone to PS and have managed to turn out all right (for the most part anyway :)) Anyhow, you are an enouragement to me, and I hope that you might make a little time to hang out when I am back in the States?!
Yikes, that's long!
Sorry,
Joy :)

Jenne said...

OH!! I am thrilled at the thought of rubbing elbows while you are state side, Joy!!

Ginger said...

I too am thrilled at the thought of Joy state-side! Jenne, do you want to host a party? hint, hint :) I'd offer my place, but I'm sure it will be in it's chaos of semi-packed. :) But that's not why I'm commenting.
I loved this post! I was thinking about doing a similair post on things that I've found handy - and the timer is one of them. I invested in this one: http://www.timetimer.com/
several years ago after seeing it at the therapist's. The kids (and I) LOVE it. The red slowly disappears so they can see how much time is left. Now they will ask, how many circles (hours) till lunch? When I say 'half', they get it!