Friday, September 4, 2009

Public School, Year 4

School starts Tuesday. My babies are in 2nd grade and Kindergarten. We went to school yesterday to drop off the school supplies they asked each student to buy. My two grade-schoolers left with excitement coursing through their veins. They can't wait for what lies ahead.

As a Lord-loving mother, I share in their excitement. I can relax any teacher-trepidations I might have had this year because both my kids have teachers we have had in the past. They are both women who pass the "sniff test" with flying colors. My second grader has developed a track record of (somehow) picking out the kids that are fellow believers and befriending them - though he rarely knows what they believe. It occurs to me that I need to give glory to the Lord for this one! My kindergartner has yet no track record for the kind of friends he makes (all his friendships thus far have been through church and via my friendships with other mothers). I do know one thing about him, though, and it is this: he follows the crowd.

Here enters trepidation.

I praise the Lord that on Day One of school for him, I know his propensities and weaknesses. I know what to keep an eye on, and I can anticipate the kinds of conversations we will have. I will need to use words such as "leader" to describe him to himself and talk about standing strong in the face of temptation. They will be good mother-son conversations. I pray they would be filled with grace, compassion and hope.

3 comments:

wedogmomma said...

"Sniff test" cracked me up.
As a homeschooling momma, I visit here often to see the 'other' side.
Thank you for sharing, I think so many moms forget that we're ALL in this together. There is no judgement in Christ. Our goals are the same and there should only be encouragement in parenting- no matter where you do the majority of your 'learning'
Blessings to you and yours!

wedogmomma said...

"Sniff test" cracked me up.
As a homeschooling momma, I visit here often to see the 'other' side.
Thank you for sharing, I think so many moms forget that we're ALL in this together. There is no judgement in Christ. Our goals are the same and there should only be encouragement in parenting- no matter where you do the majority of your 'learning'
Blessings to you and yours!

LJStager said...

I've had at least one child in public school for the last 20 years. We made our decisions year by year, always considering our children's best interest, and weighing the costs and benefits. Now, with my "baby" a Sr. at OSU, with all three children loving and serving God, with two married to spouses who love and serve God (who also attended public schools), I celebrate God's faithfulness to my children.
It hasn't all been smooth, or pretty, or easy. But I'm trusting that through rubbing shoulders with others in the public school arena, we have "splashed" God's lavish love on lots of people who don't yet know Him.
May your family be a blessing, and may you all be blessed, as you begin this school year.